The Musical Pathways Project is a partnership between Seattle Youth Symphony Orchestra, Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestras (SRJO) and Seattle Public Schools, which provides the best instruction to students using highly-qualified professional teaching artists to increase the diversity of and access to public school instrumental music education for all students.
The Musical Pathways Project creates a continuum of instrumental music education through neighborhood school pathways, by continuing to strengthen enrollment from elementary to middle to high school music programs.
SYSO leverages their fundraising capacity to provide these services to the schools at no charge.
- Coaching provided by professional musicians hired by SYSO to enable differentiated instruction for instrumental music students, in partnership with existing SPS teachers.
- Coaches advise orchestra teachers on instructional techniques and repertoire selection as needed, and engage in teaching demonstrations and collaborative teaching practices.
- SYSO coaches lead two Cadenza Afterschool Orchestra Clubs, strengthening retention and excitement for students to continue from elementary to middle school orchestra programs.
- Coaches build relationships with students, and long term mentoring relationships form.
- Increased student diversity with public school instrumental music education.
- Music ensembles can be welcoming communities for young people that help students grow academically, socially, and emotionally.