I cannot imagine my children’s lives without SYSO.
My son Tanner has found his passion for music through SYSO, although it didn’t start that way. There were days when he began in Symphonette Orchestra when he was reluctant to get up early for a Saturday morning rehearsal. Yet it was bonding with other musicians, the peer support he had as he moved through SYSO, and the challenge of exciting repertoire that made the difference. The encouragement from his coaches and conductors inspired Tanner, and gave him the confidence to persist through SYSO’s rigorous practice routine. Now he eagerly attends rehearsals, plans to study music at a conservatory and pursue a career as a professional musician.
SYSO has also played an important role for his older sister, Luisa. Luisa has never been able to imagine life without SYSO. She also loves the music and the camaraderie she’s experienced moving through each of the orchestras. Luisa makes time for SYSO no matter how busy she gets. In fact, she considers SYSO her refuge. SYSO has been everything for her and, even though she does not plan to pursue a music career, she will continue to support the arts and play music throughout her life. I truly believe that because SYSO has been with them every step of the way, Tanner and Luisa will each make music a part of their different paths forward.
I have made the commitment each year to pay SYSO’s tuition to ensure that my children have access to the highest quality orchestral music education in the region.
I also make a commitment to help SYSO to maintain and elevate the caliber of excellence by making a donation to SYSO’s Annual Fund. To be honest with you, it is a gift that is financially a stretch for us, but incredibly meaningful for our whole family. I hope you will join me in making a contribution because together our support ensures that:
- SYSO can provide students a complete continuum of learning through 5 levels of orchestra that begin with:
- an introduction to ensemble playing, which includes a high level of coaching support in the Prelude String Orchestra, leading to
- engagement in full orchestral repertoire in the Symphonette and Debut Orchestras, and then
- more complex and challenging symphonic pieces they learn in the Junior Symphony Orchestra that will prepare them for
- the flagship Seattle Youth Symphony Orchestra, where musicians also have the opportunities to participate in concerto competitions and perform with other leading Seattle arts institutions, such as the Seattle Symphony and Pacific Northwest Ballet
- SYSO can commit to hiring top-notch professional musicians to serve as coaches and award-winning conductors to lead each orchestra
- SYSO can guarantee that every deserving family receives financial aid in order to eliminate barriers to participation
It is this level of service and the orchestras’ high quality performances that make SYSO recognized as one of the best youth orchestra programs in the nation. And of course we all want the best for our children. Again, I cannot imagine my children’s lives without SYSO.
Our gift is really an investment, knowing that the musical, social and emotional skills that our children gain through participation in SYSO will propel them successfully onward—whether that is towards a career in music or another field. Every gift matters and, if you can, consider making a gift that is a stretch for you like I have. It will have a tremendous impact on the lives of hundreds of young musicians.
Thank you in advance for bridging the gap for SYSO.